Hurricane season Curaçao
Despite Curaçao being part of the Leeward Islands and is almost never really affected by hurricanes, it is important to annually prepare ourselves for the worst before the hurricane season.
As homeowners on Curaçao, we naturally want nothing more than that our homes remain exactly the same before or after any storm or hurricane.
We, at Sun Life Real Estate, know better than anyone how valuable a home on Curaçao can be. For this reason, we want to give you some valuable tips on how to best prepare for the upcoming hurricane season.
- Always make sure that all windows and doors can be closed properly.
- Do no leave loose items in the garden.
- Check that the gutters are clean.
- Make sure you can instantly shut off all power points outside your home.
If a storm or hurricane reaches Curaçao, then we might need to stay inside our homes for a few days. We also have some useful tips for necessities during such crisis.
- Acquire adequate alternative lightning for if the power goes out.
- Always have a first aid kit at home.
- Make sure the gas bottles are sufficiently filled.
- Bring shelf-stable food into your home for a minimum of 5 days.
It is our greatest hope that no storm or hurricane might reach our beautiful island, but if it does it will leave a lot of damage. We therefore recommend that you take a good look at your insurance policy. Most insurance policies are fairly standard and do not clearly describe damage caused by a storms or hurricanes. If you want to be sure that your home is well insured, please contact your intermediary to discuss your coverage.
This article is written by Tainais Polanco Paulino – real estate agent